The commercial farm extends for 85 hectares of farmland, and is divided between vineyards (60 hectares), olive orchards (15 hectares), arable land, vegetable plots, fruit orchards and areas of environmental compensation. It is situated in the province of Trapani between the towns of Salemi and Santa Ninfa, in an area specialized in wine production located from 150 to 450 meters above sea level. Here we cultivate various types of grapes with commitment and dedication: both autochthonous varieties such as Inzolia, Cataratto, Grillo, Zibibbo, Nero d’Avola and Perricone, as well as international such as Chardonnay, Muller Thurgau, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The olive orchards are located at 450 meters above sea level, in the territory of Santa Ninfa, in an area particularly suited to the production of extra virgin olive oil, that is, the Valle del Belice. The bodies of water in the estate guarantee water supply to the vineyards, particularly during dry years, in order to ensure high quality levels. Our grapes are harvested by hand so as not to harm the vines and in order to select the best grapes.
In 2011 both the commercial farm and the wine cellar achieved an important goal: they received the “Organic” certification. All the lands belonging to the commercial farm are cultivated utilizing modern and traditional organic farming techniques; we use natural fertilizers and green manure; we do not use pesticides which contain synthetic chemical substances but only modern products with low levels of copper and sulphur; lastly, in order to bring balance to the natural ecosystem we create and maintain areas of environmental compensation.
Our “Respect” rulebook
1. We do not produce thousands of bottles nor do we use sophisticated manufacturing techniques; we simply care for our grapes by simply following the seasons and rhythms of nature.
2. All our grapes come solely from commercial farms which operate in accordance with the most modern organic farming techniques (EC Regulation 834/07).
3. All our products are organic and have been certified by an authorized inspection body.
4. The DOP products have been certified by a company authorized to verify the quality of farm produce.
5. All our wines contain less than 100mg of sulphur per liter, well below the amount permitted by EC regulations.
6. We use the most modern techniques in our production process and ensure high hygiene levels, which enable us to make healthy products and thus ensure consumer welfare.
7. We have a modern and well-equipped laboratory which enables us to analyze and constantly monitor the entire production process.
8. We sell our products in light to medium-weight bottles in order to avoid unnecessary use of glass and we use pure cellulose organic paper with low levels of chlorine for our printed material.
9. The wine cellar was designed in accordance with modern, eco-friendly architectural techniques, which enables us to drastically reduce Co2 emissions (external thermal cladding, photovoltaic system, solar heating system).
10. The waste waters are purified naturally by means of an active herbal purification process, which means that the purified water may then be used for crop irrigation.